- Disambiguation: adverbial is also an adjective that means "relating to an adverb".
An adverbial (/ædvɜ:(r)bɪəl/) or adverbial phrase (/ædvɜ:(r)bɪəl freɪz/) is a phrase that functions as an adverb; its syntactic function is to modify other expressions, including verbs, adjectives, other adverbials (including adverbs), and sentences - i.e. it says when, where or how something happens.
- An adverb phrase, i.e. a phrase with an adverb as its head can be used as an adverbial.
- It can be a prepositional phrase, or sometimes just a single word preposition, i.e. a prepositional phrase adverbial
- It can be a noun phrase, making a noun phrase adverbial.
- It can be an adverbial clause