John C. Wells (born 1939) is Emeritus Professor of Phonetics at the University of London. A Fellow of the British Academy, he is a former President of the International Phonetic Association (2003-2007) and of the World Esperanto Association. He is the current president of The English Spelling Society.
- Wells, J.C., 1982. Accents of English, Cambridge University Press.
- Wells, J, 2006. English Intonation: an introduction, Cambridge University Press.
- Wells, J.C., 2008. Longman Pronunciation Dictionary. Third edition, Pearson.
 See also
- Brief curriculum vitae at UCL
- Wells, John. "English accents and their implications for spelling reform"
- Selected publications