IPA phoneme /b/
Some common words which practice the initial pronunciation of /b/ include the following:
- ball - bear - bird - black - blue - body - book - bring - brother - bull - busy
Some common words which practice the mid-position pronunciation of /b/ include the following:
- able - about - cabbage - double - number - problem - public - rabbit - remember - subject
Some common words which practice the final pronunciation of /b/ include the following:
- club - disturb - grab - job - pub - verb - web
Anticipated pronunciation difficulties depending on L1
Preconceived ideas and other interferences from L1 obviously interfere in many cases with how students perceive - and pronounce - sounds/words in English. The following section aims to point out some of the most typical difficulties teachers and students may encounter regarding pronunciation.
The main difficulty is the difference between /b/ and /v/, that is, they may have difficulty distinguishing between "ban" and "van".
The spelling confuses some students and they may pronounce silent "b"s, as * for "climb" (/klaɪm/).
- Decoding the letter B
- Pronunciation exercises: /b/ vs /v/
- Pronunciation exercises: /b/ vs /p/
- IPA phoneme /p/