Don't confuse it with elision.
 Advantages of eliciting
- It helps develop a learner-centred classroom.
- The teacher will become aware of the students' existing knowledge of the subject.
- Those students who are unaware of the answers to certain issues will get early clarification from their peers.
- Care must be taken to ensure that not just the "know-it-all" gets to answer everything and that all students are given a fair chance to respond.
- Depending on how it is carried out - and its frequency - students can become irritated by a teacher who asks them questions about things to which they clearly don't know the answer.
 See also